Bruschetta with Strawberries, Balsamic and One Mint Leaf
Strawberries for an appetizer? Yes indeed and I tell you, this is a really delightfully light and delicious treat to offer your guests for a hot summer day. Best of all, it’s a breeze to make. The only thing I have found that it’s best served when the strawberries are heated so that’s a last minute thing but not necessarily so because you can make the sauce ahead of time, refrigerate it for a day or 2 or even freeze it and then reheat it briefly in the micro (about 1 minute and I put the micro at 1/2 temp just to check that it’s not getting too hot and syrupy).
- One box of Melba Snacks Whole Grain Crackers or something similar
- 6 Tbsp. brown sugar (I use the light brown variety)
- 1 Tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tsp. lemon juice
- One quick tiny squirt of Balsamic (CAREFUL—not too much)
- 3 C. cleaned, hulled sliced strawberries (you can also dice them if you prefer)
- 4-6 Tbsp. mascarpone
- A bunch of washed whole mint leaves
- In a small bowl, combine and whisk well the sugar, zest, juice and balsamic together.
- Heat a large Teflon skillet over medium-high heat and add the above mixture. When it begins to bubble (30 seconds to 1 minute) add the strawberries and stir until the juices begin to release their flavor and the berries are heated through (30 seconds to 1 minute more)
3. If you are serving this immediately, I would recommend spreading the mascarpone on the crackers before you have made the sauce and have the crackers all ready on a pretty platter to finish off and serve.
4. After you have placed the sauce on top of the mascarpone, top each with a mint leaf. That will make the whole deal!!!