- Apple Pie Spice, 1 Tsp.= ½ Tsp. ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ground allspice and a dash of ground ginger
- Cajun Seasoning, 1 Tblsp.= ½ tsp. white pepper, ½ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. onion powder, ½ tsp. ground red pepper, ½ tsp. paprika and ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Fresh snipped herbs, 1 Tblsp.= ½ to 1 tsp. dried herbs
- Poultry Seasoning,1 tsp.=3/4 dried sage and ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- Pumpkin Pie Spice, 1 tsp.= ½ tsp. ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp. ground ginger, ¼ tsp. ground allspice, and 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Allspice, ground=ground cinnamon, nutmeg or cloves
- Chili Powder= dash of bottled hot pepper sauce plus equal measures of ground organo and cumin
- Clove, ground= ground allspice, cinnamon or nutmeg
- Cumin,ground=chili powder
- Mustard, dry, 1 tsp.= 1 Tblsp. yellow prepared mustard
- Paprika= cayenne pepper (just a dash because it’s hotter than paprika.
- Cayenne pepper, ground, ½ tsp.= 2 to 3 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
- Curry Powder, All Purpose=1 tsp. black peppercorns, 3 Tblsp. cumin seeds, 4 Tblsp. coriander seeds, 1 Tblsp. ground ginger, 2 Tblsp. ground turmeric. Toast and grind the first three spices. Mix them with the ginger and turmeric. Store in a sealed jar for several month. To make this a hot cutty powder, add ½ Tsp. or more ground cayenne. Makes ½ C.
- Curry Powder,Fragrant: ¼ tsp. nutmeg pieces, ½ tsp. black peppercorns, 3 cloves, 1 tsp. cardamom seeds, 1 (2-inch) piece cinnamon stick, 1 tsp. fennel seeds, 1 tsp. fenugreek seeds, 2 Tblsp. cumin seeds, 4 Tblsp. coriander seeds, 1 Tablsp. Ground ginger, 2 Tblsp. ground turmeric. Toast and grind the first 9 spices. Mix them with the ginger and turmeric. Store in a sealed jar for several months. Makes ½ C.
- Garam Masala: ½ tsp. nutmeg pieces, 1 (3-inch)piece cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 1 Tblsp. coriander seeds, 2 tsp. cardamom seeds. Toast and grind all spices together. Store in a sealed jar for several months. Makes ½ C. (This is a mild almost sweet curry) Add ¼ Tsp. of saffron if you have it.
Other Handy Substitutions:
Ingredient Quantity Substitute
Baking Powder 1 Tsp. ¼ Tsp. baking soda plus ½ Tsp. cream of tartar
Chocolate 1 square (1 oz.) 3 or 4 Tblsp. cocoa plus 1 Tblsp. butter
Cornstarch 1 Tblsp. 2 Tblsp. flour or 2 Tsp. quick-cooking tapioca when used for thickening purposes
Creme Fraiche: 1 C. light cream & 2 Tblsp. buttermilk in a glass container. Let stand at room temp for 8-24 hours or until thick. Stir well, cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days. I’ve actually found that it can get thick in 10-15 minutes.
Arrowroot 2 Tsp. 1 ¾ Tblsp. flour when used for thickening purposes
Cracker crumbs 3/4 C. 1 C. bread crumbs
Dry Mustard 1 Tsp. 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
Flour, self-rising 1 C. 1 C. all-purpose flour plus ½ Tsp. salt and 1 Tsp. baking powder
Herbs, fresh 1 Tblsp. 1 Tsp. dried herbs
Ketchup or Chili Sauce 1 C. 1 C. tomato sauce plus ½ C. sugar and 2 T. vinegar (for use in cooking)
Butter 1 C. 7/8 C. corn or nut oil
Milk, sour 1 C. 1 Tblsp. lemon juice or vinegar plus regular milk to make 1 C. (let stand 5 minutes)
Whole Milk 1C 1/2 C. evaporated milk plus ½ C. water or 1/2 C half & 1/2 and 1/2 C. water
Min.marshmallows 10 1 large marshmallow
Brown Sugar 1/2 C. 2 T. molasses in 1/2 C. granulated white sugar or 1 C. molasses plus ¼ to ½ Tsp. soda and reduce the liquid ¼ C or 1 C. maple syrup and ¼ C. corn syrup and reduce the liquid ¼ C.
Powdered Sugar 1 C. 1 C. granulated sugar plus 1 Tsp. cornstarch
Granulated White Sugar 1C. 1 C.honey plus ¼ to ½ Tsp. soda and reduce the liquid by ¼ C.
Tomato Juice 1 C. 1/2 C. tomato sauce plus 1/2 C. water
When substituting cocoa for chocolate in cakes, the amount of flour must be reduced. Brown and white sugars usually can be interchange