Summer Vegetable Strata
Summer is still here and so are the very fresh veggies in the markets and the Farmers Markets. So, here is a pretty healthy and dietetic dish made with egg beaters, skim milk, and low-fat mozzarella. It’s another easy one for the cook because it can be an overnight casserole.
No-Stick cooking spray
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small zucchini, sliced
2 C. Italian bread cubes, (1 inch)
1/3 C. shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1 C. (8 oz.) Egg Beaters
3/4 C. Skim Milk
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/4 Tsp. ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray an 8 X 8-inch baking dish; set aside
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat.
- Add onions, zucchini and bell peppers; book about 6 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add bread cubes; mix lightly.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat Egg Beaters, milk, salt and pepper in a blender; pour over the bread mixture. Cover at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes or until top is golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 4 squares to serve.
If you wish to substitute the non-fat ingredients for the “real” thing, that would be just fine. 1 C. of Egg Beaters is comparable to using 4 whole eggs.
For easy access and printing of this and past recipes, visit Margot’s blog http://blog.tempinnkeeper.com Call Margot for personal cooking help @ 721-3551.
Margot is a self-taught enthusiastic & passionate cook. Having been an inn-keeper for 5 years at her own inn, she accumulated a lot of good recipes which she loves to share.