Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars
Makes 24 to 36 bars
This is a wicked recipe so it’s perfect for your most precious Halloween goblins and yourself as well. Don’t bother counting the calories here; just enjoy these bars in small tasty, luscious, lingering bites. But remember, it’s also good for Christmas gifts and for Valentines. Enjoy no matter when————–
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 C. graham cracker crumbs
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT EVAPORATED MILK!)
1 C. (6 oz) Butterscotch Chips
1 C (6 oz.) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 1/3 C. Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1 C. chopped nuts (walnuts are always good but sometimes I use almonds)
- Preheat oven to 325 for a 13 X 9 inch glass dish and 350 for a 13 X 9 inch metal pan.
- Use either a 13 X 9 inch glass or a metal baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and if the pan sides are not totally covered with the paper, pan spray them.
- Melt the cube of butter (micro is about 1 minute) and pour it evenly over the bottom of your lined pan.
- Top the butter evenly with the graham crumbs.
- With the remaining ingredients in the order listed above, top the graham cracker layer and when finished, press down firmly with a potato masher or fork.
- Bake for 25 minutes in either the 325 or 350 oven till the top is lightly brown. That is always a bit hard to tell but usually 25 minutes is perfect.
- Cool in the dish on your counter top. When cooled, score the top to mark out the size bars you wish.
- Then refrigerate before cutting totally for easier release.
- Store tightly covered or in a tin at room temperature.
For easy access and printing of this and past recipes, visit Margot’s blog http://blog.tempinnkeeper.com Call Margot for personal cooking help @ 721-3551.
Margot is a self-taught enthusiastic & passionate cook. Having been an inn-keeper for 5 years at her own inn, she accumulated a lot of good recipes which she loves to share.