Cream Of Shrimp Soup
It was another cold day here in the mountains so once again, I was thinking soup. For some reason I was hungry for shrimp so here you are—my recipe for a nice tummy warmer for lunch. I hope that you’ll enjoy this as much as I did.
- 2 C. chicken stock combined with 1 C. vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 crookneck yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 C. frozen peas (or if you wish a pea/carrot combo)
- 1/4 C. sliced green onion-tops and whites
- S&P to taste
- Dash or more nutmeg
- 1/2 C. half and half and 1/2 C. milk (or all of one or the other)
- 2 Tblsp. corn starch
- 1 Tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 ½ C. frozen deveined and peeled shrimp thawed-
Half of the shrimp to be the tiny variety with no tails; the other half the larger kind with tail— chop off most of the tails and then chop the remaining shrimp in thirds. However save a couple of tail on shrimp to add to your soup for looks.
- For garnish, chopped parsley and crème fraiche
- In a large saucepan combine broths and bring to a boil.
- Add the squash, peas(carrots), chopped green onions, S&P & nutmeg and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes or till vegetables are tender.
- In the milk/cream stir in the 2 Tblsp. cornstarch till smooth.
- Stir the milk/cream mixture and mustard in the vegetable mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat till bubbly and thick, about 1 or 2 minutes.( If you wish more thickness, dissolve some more cornstarch in a bit of water and add it till you get your desired thickness.)
- Stir in shrimp and heat through but not too long because otherwise the shrimp will get tough.
- Garnish with parsley and a dab of crème fraiche if you wish.