This is a very simple but elegant desert. I used the Manchego Mexican cheese which is delicious. If the pears in your market are not quite ripe enough, buy them a couple of days before serving and place them in a paper bag along with an apple. Close the bag and several days later, they should be perfect.
- 4 Tblsp. sweet butter
- 4 firm-ripe pears, halved lengthwise and cored
- 6 Tblsp. balsamic vinegar
- 8 Oz. Manchego cheese or mild goat cheese, cut into 8 pieces—room temp.
- 1/2 C. honey
- Preheat oven to 400
- Melt butter in an oven proof dish in the oven—about 3 minutes
- Arrange pears, cut sides down, in 1 layer in butter and roast in middle of oven until tender-about 20 minutes.
- Pour vinegar over pears and roast 5 minutes more.
- Transfer pears, cut sides down, to serving plates with cheese and spoon some of juices from baking dish over pears. Drizzle pears and cheese with honey and sprinkle with pepper.