Couscous with Cinnamon, Cardamom and Dried Fruit (of your choice)
- 1 ½ C. couscous
- 3 C. chicken stock or water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods or 1/2 Tsp. ground cardamom
- S&P to taste
- 1/3 C. minced dried apricots (and/or raisins, figs, etc.)
- 1/3 C. hot water
- 1/2 stick butter (4 Tblsp.)
- 1/2 C. pine nuts
10. Minced fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- In a small saucepan, warm the 2 ½ chicken stock or water with the cinnamon, cardamom, S&P while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Soak the dried fruit in the 1/3 C. hot water
- Place 1 Tblsp. butter in a small skillet and turn heat to medium. When it melts, add the pine nuts and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned lightly—about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place 2 Tblsp. butter in a medium saucepan and turn the heat to medium-low. When it has melted, add the couscous and cook, stirring, until it is coated with butter, about 1 minute.
- Strain the stock or water and add it all at once.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to its minimum. Cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, 5-8 minutes.
- Drain the dried fruit and gently stir them into the couscous along with the pine nuts and the remaining butter.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.