Roasted King Salmon with Cashews and Apricot Couscous Along with a Spicy Yogurt Sauce
This makes a lovely fairly easy dinner or lunch to serve for guests. I decided to make my couscous plain because of the accompanying sauce however below is one other idea for a another couscous that would also go well with this salmon and sauce. Vegetable wise, I served it with the Lemon Lovers Asparagus and as you can see, this whole assemblage made for a very appetizing serving.
Ingredients for the salmon:
- 1 ½ lb. Pacific King Salmon-cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 C. Toasted Chopped Cashews
Directions for the salmon:
- Toast the cashews in a dry pan till fragrant and lightly browned.(2-4 minutes).
- Place salmon in an olive oil sprayed pan and spray the salmon generously with olive oil.
- Place in a 350 degree pre-heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes until just cooked through and it flakes just a bit. DON’T OVERCOOK IT—it’ll continue to cook when you remove it, so better underdone than overdone oven wise. Watch it carefully.
- Sprinkle the cashews over the salmon just before serving.
Ingredients for the Apricot Couscous #1 (see below for another recipe):
- 1/2 C. up to 2/3 C. chopped small dry apricots soaked in 2/3 C. hot water till soft and then drained
- 1 C. dried couscous
- 1 ¼ C. water
- 1 Tblsp. or more of sweet butter
- Add water to pan and bring to a boil. Take off burner, add couscous and butter and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes (till couscous is done) and then gently fold in the apricots.
- 2. Please see below for another couscous recipe giving you another choice.
Ingredients for the Spicy Yogurt Sauce which is sort of like an Indian Raita:
- 1/2 C. plain yogurt (can be non-fat)
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 1/4 C. scallions, minced
- 1/4 C. minced cilantro leaves
- 1 Tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 C. finely chopped cucumber
- Cayenne to taste (optional—I didn’t do this for the salmon)
- Mix all of your ingredients in a small bowl and be sure to use this sauce within the same day that you want to serve it since it doesn’t keep that well.
Couscous recipe #2
Ingredients for couscous with apricots, ginger and scallion whites:
- 1 C. couscous
- 1 Tblsp. olive oil
- 1/2 C. chopped fine apricots
- 1 Tblsp. minced fresh ginger
- 3 scallions—whites only sliced fine
- 1 ¼ C. water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apricots, ginger, scallion whites and 1/4 Tsp. salt.
- Cook stirring until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in couscous and cover.
- Let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.