(I think for hors d’oeuvres/appetisers, most people might eat two halves so this recipe might serve 4)
This is a very delicious filling for left over hard boiled eggs (Easter) or for St. Pat’s (think green) or really anytime. For fun I sometimes combine this recipe with some ham filled eggs so as to duplicate the Green Eggs and Ham from that famed Dr. Seuss tale so many of us read to our wee ones.
- 4 Hardboiled eggs
- 2 Tblsp. cooked well drained spinach (I use fresh)
- 2 Ounces whipped crème cheese
- 2 Tblsp. grated Parmesan
- A dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- S&P to taste
- A dash of cream
- Sliced black olives and some slivered pimentos for topping
- Cut the eggs length wise.
- Scoop out the yolk and put into a food processor or blender along with the cream cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese, S&P and nutmeg. I actually mashed everything with a fork so that it came out not quite so smooth and I thought more tasty and interesting looking. It’s up to you and if your filling is not as smooth as you wish, add a bit of whole milk or cream.
- Fill egg whites with the spinach filling and top with a sliced black olive and a sliver of pimiento.
Ham and gherkins egg filling for the Dr. Seuss effect:
- Mash 6 hardboiled egg yolks with 4 Tblsp. finely chopped cold cooked ham, 1 Tblsp. finely chopped gherkins and enough mayonnaise or whipped cream cheese to make a firm paste.
- Fill the eggs with the ham mixture and garnish tops with more chopped ham and paprika.