Chili Relleno Casserole
2 or 3 Poblano Peppers (roasted, peeled, and seeded, and cut in halves or thirds long way)
2 Tblsp. flour
1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tblsp. finely chopped cilantro
2 Tblsp. green enchilada sauce
1 to 1 1/2 C. mixture of shredded Mozzarella and shredded Mixed Mexican Cheese
For Accompaniment: corn tortillas, chopped tomatoes, salsa or Chipolata Sauce, chopped black olives for garnish along with sour cream and avocados or guacamole.
8 X 8 oven proof dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Divide the 4 eggs— yolks in one small bowl and the whites in a larger bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks until frothy and light. Add flour, baking powder, cilantro and
2 Tblsp.green enchilada sauce and beat some more.
- Beat the eggs whites until stiff. Fold yolk mixture into the stiffened whites.
- Pam spray your 8X8 oven proof dish and layer in the following way:
- First layer half of your egg mixture
- Place the peppers on top
- Place the mixed cheese on top
- Place the remainder of the egg mixture
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven and check with knife or toothpick in the middle that the soufflé is done. Don’t let it get over done because then it’ll be dry. If you wish when it’s done, you can decorate the top with a combo of all or just one of the following: chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, sliced black olives; then let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with warm buttered corn tortillas and relishes such as more chopped tomatoes, salsa, chipolata sauce, sour cream and avocados or guacamole.
Hint: To roast Poblanos or other peppers, place over an open flame or in a pan under the broiler until they are very brown, almost burnt. Place quickly in a sealed paper bag and let sit for about 20 minutes. That way the steam from the peppers will help remove the skin. Then, with gloved hands, peel the skin off and de-seed.
For easy access and printing of this and past recipes, visit Margot’s blog http://blog.tempinnkeeper.com Call Margot for personal cooking help @ 721-3551.
Margot is a self-taught enthusiastic & passionate cook. Having been an inn-keeper for 5 years at her own inn, she accumulated a lot of good recipes which she loves to share.