Zucchini and Mushroom Casserole
This is a good, easy and nutritional dish to serve. Zucchini and mushrooms are so versatile so it’s nice to see them meld together. Enjoy.
- 1 ½ Lb. zucchini, trimmed and scrubbed
- Pinch of chopped or dried dill
- S&P to taste
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 Lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ½ Tblsp. butter
- 2 ½ -3 Tblsp. flour
- 1 ¼ C. sour cream
- Bread crumbs dotted with butter
- Up to 1/4 C. chopped parsley (optional)
- Up to 1/4 C. shredded Parmesan (optional)
- Cut the zucchini crosswise into one-inch slices. Place in a pot with salted water to cover. Add the dill and garlic and some S&P. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently until the vegetable is barely tender (about 8 minutes). DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Drain, reserving 2 Tblsp. of the cooking liquid, and discard the garlic. Set the zucchini aside.
- In a skillet, sauté the mushroom in the butter (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally till they glisten; then stir in the flour. Cook about 2 minutes longer till flour is well absorbed.
- To the mushrooms in the skillet add the sour cream and zucchini and the reserved 2 Tblsp. zucchini cooking liquid stirring constantly. DO NOT BOIL but heat thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a buttered or Pam sprayed casserole dish and top with some buttered bread crumbs. If you wish, you can mix the crumbs with chopped parsley and/or some shredded parmesan.
- Brown quickly under the broiler.