Fennel Salad a la Siciliana
- 3 or 4 Honey Tangerines or 3 blood or navel oranges
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 1 Tblsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tblsp. or more of minced fennel tops
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 bunches trimmed arugula (I used the baby arugula)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored, and halved and trimmed
- 1/4 C. oil cured black olives
- I sectioned the tangerines and used them. If you are using oranges, discard peel and all of the white pith; then slice crosswise into thin rounds and set aside.
- Mix together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and minced fennel tops. You can either put this in the salad bowl along with the S&P before you put in the rest of the ingredients or you can mix it in a jar or pour it on after the salad is in the bowl.
- If you are using regular arugula, tear it into large pieces and arrange in the bowl. If you are using the baby arugula, just throw it into the bowl. Slice the fennel bulbs into long strips and place on top of the arugula.
- Toss the salad just before serving, adjust the seasoning, and then arrange the orange slices or tangerine sections on the top along with the black olives.