For my taste, this recipe results in a truly delectable dish. It’s a quick and easy one to serve however looks and tastes like you might have spent hours on it. The sauce in particular is divine. You can serve it over rice, pasta or with crusty French bread and a nice light green salad. It’s perfect for last minute guests or just for last minute family dinners or even just for your lonesome. Just make sure that you have some dried mushrooms or frozen pre-cooked mushrooms and uncooked peeled and devinne with tail on shrimp in the freezer. You can even substitute for the shrimp left-over chicken. You also can add chopped light tasting veggies like chopped yellow squash (not broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and such), when sauteing the onions and mushrooms.
- 12 Oz. Shrimps with tail defrosted per package instructions
- Butter and/or olive oil to amount to 3 Tbls. (I use a bit of both)
- 1 ½ C. sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 C. finely chopped onions and/or 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 Tblsp. flour
- 3/4 C. very warm chicken broth
- 1/4 C. dry white wine (I used dry vermouth)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp. crushed dry tarragon and/ or a heaping 1/2 Tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/4 Tsp. paprika
- 1/4 Tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 C. heavy cream (you can use ½ and ½ or milk if you wish to lighten the load)
- In a large measuring cup, combine the chicken broth with the white wine, Dijon mustard, and tarragon or fennel seeds, paprika and ground pepper. Let sit while you do the rest of the steps.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and/or oil till it is hot. Add the mushrooms and onions/garlic and over medium heat, sauté till the mushrooms and onions/garlic are soft, limp and glistening. Stir in flour till all is well mixed and no more flour white remains.
- Add the chicken broth mixture and stir till thickened and the mixture bubbles. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Stir in the cream and shrimp.
- Cook covered for 2 minutes or till shrimp is done. Don’t overcook or shrimp will become tough.
- Garnish individual plates or platter with lemon slices and sliced tomatoes and top with parsley or herbs.