Whole Chicken Fryer Casserole
Here’s another easy, financially economical and healthy chicken veggie dish for a busy mom or dad to make. It’s also easy for a single person who comes home to weary to really cook and also wants some good left over’s for the rest of the week. The 3.5 lb. fryer coast under $7 at Atkinsons’ and the veggies I used didn’t cost that much and actually were what I already had in the frig. I used a large round deep Pyrex casserole dish and it baked at 375F in an hour and a half. It was delicious and will easily feed 4. It’s a breeze to assemble and I warrant that the kids will like it as well.
- One 3.5 whole fryer chicken
- One 8-oz pre-packaged fresh brown or white sliced mushrooms
- 1 Zucchini cut in half and then cut the halves in half so you have 4 long pieces
- 2 peeled carrots cut in huge chunks
- 2 celery ribs cut in huge chunks
- 4 Green onions—cut in chunks
- Fresh basil—place some in the chicken cavity and more within the veggies and if you wish a bay leaf to put in the veggies.
- 4-8 cloves of garlic—unpeeled or peeled—left whole—put one or two in the chicken’s cavity
- 1 large tomato cut in chunks
- Any other veggie you have and think might go well including parsley, etc.
- S&P to taste
- Up to 3/4 C. olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Smear or spray some olive oil all over the inside of your dish.
- Place the veggies in the dish and mix well with some S&P to taste and some olive oil as well.
- Place whole rinsed and pat dried chicken which has some basil and garlic cloves in the cavity on top of the veggies and pour more olive oil on it. Then S&P it to your taste.
- Place in oven and bake for about 1.5 hours.
I served this with rice and if you wish, a green salad on the side. Desert? I had some of my homemade no-churn Mango Ice Cream only I had put fresh blue berries in it which turned out very yummy. I now am almost never without some sort of version of this ice cream in my freezer. Enjoy!!!!