Ham and Cannellini Soup—the quick and easy way
It’s still cool in these parts and I had taken out from the freezer a ham with bone, left over from Easter. The ham was so tasty but I was in a mood for something hot and easy. So, here is what I did and it really turned out good. I did top it with some shaved Parmesan and croutons and that made it even more delicious but I am sure not very non-caloric. Oh well———
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- Several bits of parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon which I really like)
- 1 Tsp. mustard powder
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 ½ to 2 C. chopped ham
- 1- 15-oz. can Cannellini beans well rinsed
- Optional: Croutons and shaved Parmesan for the topping
- Add the first 6 ingredients in a medium sized pot and bring these ingredients to a slow boil; then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Then add your two last ingredients and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Voila—easy and yummy
- Variations: you could use different kinds of beans; you could add different and more veggies; and you could also use different kinds of seasonings. Versatility and imagination is always the fun in creating a good dish.