Braised Celery and Julienned Carrots Caribbean Style
This is such an easy and delicious dish. Celery is rarely thought about other than enjoying it in its raw state which is too bad because it really is delicious when cooked. So, give it a try in this recipe and enjoy.
- 5 to 10 leafless stalks of celery—cut into small pieces
- 1 to 2 carrots–julienned
- 1-2 Tblsp. butter
- 1-2 Tblsp. olive oil
- 1-2 Tblsp. flour
- 1- 1 ½ C. chicken stock
- 1-2 Tsp. of the Caribbean Marinade Recipe found on my blog and here as well.
- Dash of soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 C. slivered almonds which you have lightly browned in 1-2 Tblsp. butter.
- In a deep wok like pan melt and heat the butter and olive oil
- Cook and stir the celery and carrots stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Season with S&P and sprinkle with flour. Cook, stirring for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the stock, marinade and soy sauce, stir, bring to a boil then turn the heat to low. Cover and cook until the celery is tender but still a bit crunchy (about 10- 15 minutes).
- Uncover and if you think that you have too much liquid, boil off some of the liquid.
- When the mixture has a saucy garnish, add the almonds. Perfection!!!
Makes about 1/2 to 3/4 Cup
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 2 Tblsp. oregano
- 2 Tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp. black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tblsp. olive oil
- 1 orange—rind sliced off and chopped small; orange juiced
- 1 ruby grapefruit-rind sliced off and chopped small; grapefruit juiced
- 1/4 C. lemon Juice
- In a food processor, put ingredients listed above. The orange, grapefruit and lemon juice should add up to 1/2 cup total of juice.
- Process so nice and smooth but still chunky.