Zivi’s Lapin au Vin
I do love this dish made with rabbit, however, you can easily make it with chicken.
- 1 large FAT PLUMP rabbit—cut up in pieces (or chicken)
- 1/4 C. flour
- S&P to taste
- 1/4 Tsp. Paprika
- 4 Tblsp. combination of butter and olive oil
- 1/2 onion—chopped
- 1 garlic-diced (optional)
- 1-2 C. chicken stock
- 1/2 to 3/4 C. hearty red wine
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Thyme, Basil or Rosemary to taste (optional)
- Wash and pat dry the rabbit. In a bag, place the flour, S&P and paprika, shake to mix well; put rabbit in bag and shake once again till rabbit is well coated.
- In a heavy such as a cast iron deep sided skillet or pot, heat the butter/olive oil; stir in the onion and garlic for about 4 minutes, over medium heat, till soft and glistening. Remove to a side plate.
- If you need more butter/olive oil at this point, add some. Make sure the oil is hot before adding the rabbit. Brown thoroughly on all sides over medium heat (about 5-8 minutes). Be sure your heat is not too high so that you are not burning the rabbit.
- Add the stock, wine, set aside onion and garlic and bay leaves and other optional spices if you wish and place a cover on the pot.
- Cook at a simmer for about 1 hour. Do check it every now and then to see if it might need more stock or wine.
- I serve this with white rice and a nice fresh vegetable.